Thursday, April 20, 2006

Evol (read backwards...)

L-O-V-E. Four simple letters, and yet it's limit is infinite and its meaning complex. My friend was telling us about his/her (I respect other people's privacy) own love story. Well, the story made me think about a lot of things. It wasn't the first time I heard of love life problems. In fact, back then, I'm usually the love life consultant of my classmates. But my friend's story just proved on thing: we're still too young to get into relationships.

Now that I'm about to study in college, my parents made it a point that I "concentrate on my studies and not on relationships". Well, they didn't disapprove of me having a crush on someone; they admit it is normal among teens, but they certainly disapprove of dating and courting at an early age. For Papa, love can't be avoided, but it can be controlled. In a way, I approve of their thinking. We're not mature enough for relationships. That is why there are cases of premarital sex and other similar problems. These people aren't mature enough to take over responsibilities only mature people can handle.

Then it came to my mind what another friend of mine told me. (he was lamenting for not having found his "perfect pair") "There's just too much love here waiting to get out and I don't want to spend it on something not human." My initial reaction was "WAW! So I am weird." Cause you know, I usually spend my love on... not entirely realistic things. JJ Lin, Jake Abel, Oliver Wood, Jack Sparrow(?!), Legoslas... these are just some of the celebrities and fictional characters that I fall in love with. So am I stupid? Am I wasting my time? Sure, I got crushes too: batchmates, schoolmates, even friends from other schools, but it just ends there and never developed into the next level called love. Perhaps, it's because I'm a girl and that girls usually don't express their feelings for a guy. Besides, as I've said, I'm not prepared for this new relationship. Then what about other girls who openly express their love for a guy through words and little actions? Are they just, what guys call "hotties" that's why they do that? Are they desperate to fall in love? Or is it because they have enough guts to open up to the guys?

Then there's the common issue of being single or having found a pair. Sometimes, isn't it a lot better if you live on your own? No pressure, no worries, you just have to live on your life the way you wanted. But missing all that love that your friends are enjoying, wouldn't it be so lonely? And yet, where do you find YOUR love? You can't just walk towards a guy you like, tap him on the shoulder and say "Hey I like you. Can we be more than friends?". That's guys' doing; definitely not for girls. So if I can't do that, how can I get involved with the love craze? Wait for someone to come over? When is that? Will I be ready? What if I don't like him that much? Should I accept him because there's no other choice? Or should I turn him down and wait for someone else? Golly, they really should have classes like Love 101 in school...

Am I, what they say, old-fashioned? If someone comes up one day and opens his heart to me, am I ready? Should I learn to express my feelings like other more liberated girls do?

Well blow me down! I'm confused...