Friday, May 04, 2007

*Author's Note:
The original of this post can be found here. Although considering that it is a private blog, the author has decided to post it here as well. For those with LJ accounts, please click on the link above. Many thanks.*



If I were born to a wealthy family, I wouldn't be what I am now.


It all started last Tuesday, May 1. My family went "window shopping" at SM. I have to admit it's been a long time since I last stepped inside a mall, so I was able to look through a lot of cool new stuff and new things that set the latest trends, as well as more new things to crave for.

Sadly, as I have said, I can only crave for these things. I remember last month while my parents were filling up my scholarship update form, I noticed that our family income didn't increase for the past year while our yearly expenses increased by a large amount. At first, I was really surprised that our expenses could still get this high considering that we didn't have to pay for my tuition (which really saves up a lot of money). After last Tuesday, I finally found the answer.

Prices of commodities have turned so high, it's amazing how some people can still afford these stuff. Perhaps, you have to be really, really rich to afford them. While I went through a new line of clothes and jeans from Lee, this was my usual routine: 1) I'd look through the designs, and if I found something I really like I'll 2) check the price tag. Well, surprise, surprise. The clothes actually cost more than my weekly school allowance. Mom kept urging me to try them on but I said, why bother? Why do you bother trying them on, finding them a perfect fit for you but in the end, you'll only be returning them back to the clothes' rack? I mean, what's the point? Hell ya, I've been wearing the same clothes over and over again. And my pants seem to be shrinking through constant wear, either because I grew taller or they're just really, really old. But that's the only thing your life can offer you, so face it. That's all you've got. Don't try too hard to improve yourself because no matter how beautiful your shell is, you still have the same inside.

I've been sulking since then. It sux to be poor. Well, I guess, I'm much more fortunate than other lower-class people but it certainly sux if you can't afford to buy the things you want. It also sux how everything bad that happened in your life starts to go back to you in your most miserable times. And to think the reason behind all these misery is the fact that I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Thus, the status message.

Ozy was the only one who gave me a very reasonable explanation to my predicament.

osmond go: And what is it that you are now?
Honey: poor
Honey: deprived
Honey: socially discriminated
osmond go: And if you were born to a wealthy family, do you think that you will have the same intelligence, friends, experiences?
osmond go: Everyone wants to be an heir/heiress.
osmond go: We are who we make ourselves to be.
osmond go: You only feel poor because you are surrounded by wealthy people.
osmond go: You are only deprived because you choose to live by their standards.
osmond go: And you are socially discriminated because you are Chinese, you can't do anything about that. Pinas tayo eh
Honey: *blink blink*
Honey: hands down ozy

-------

osmond go: But I doubt if you would want to have been sent to a lower-class school and be the richest and least deprived by default.
osmond go: Anyways wag mo na isipin yan, it only makes a person feel bad about themselves because they neglect to see the good things that have happened in their lives.

Thanks Ozy, grabe hands down talaga. You definitely shut me up after that. I mean, there's nothing else left to be said. Why complain about life when there are so many things you have to be grateful for? For one, I'm grateful I'm studying the course I love, in a university I love and that I'm part of an organization I love. Perhaps, if I were born to a wealthy family, I wouldn't realize how much these things mean to me. Sure, I'll get all the material things I've always wanted, but I'm definitely going to miss out the most important thing that has been keeping me going until now: fighting for my own successes.

They may be few, but I'm proud to say I've shed tears and blood by attaining them. And fortunately, they're all worth it.

Thank God I'm ME!!!